Thursday, May 2, 2013

Buying Books for 1st Term



It’s real now. I just bought my books for my first doctoral courses. I only had to purchase four books initially. I opted to buy online through Amazon.com. I elected 2-day shipping. My total in charges was $384.30. This might seem like a lot of money and I certainly do not like to part with my hard earned dollars, but compared to my prior studies I felt as though I had gotten a deal. The RMU bookstore had ordered, and reserved a copy of each of the textbooks for us. By ordering from Amazon rather than the campus bookstore I saved over $100.00. Bear in mind that I am not, nor have I ever been a wealthy man. 

I purchased my first car in 2001. I was in high school and had saved money from working as a caddy at the Fox Chapel Golf Club and a park attendant for a children’s park in my township. I paid only $500.00 for a four door 1987 Chevy Cavalier. The car was an obvious lemon- but I loved it. Today the reality of being a graduate student is that you must be prepared to spend more on books per semester than I did on my first vehicle.


Meaningful  Learning with Technology (4th Edition). Howland, Jane L.
Qualitative Research in Education: A User’s Guide. Lichtman, Marilyn
Reading Statistics and Research (6th Edition). Huck, Schuyler W.
Distance Education: A Systems View of Online Learning. Moore, Michael G.

No comments:

Post a Comment