Thursday, February 28, 2013

Applying for Admission


The search for a doctoral program that was the right fit for me was not a simple one. My academic background included a BA in History from Thiel College and an MS in Business Ethics & Leadership from Duquesne University, both in Western Pennsylvania. I never graduated near, let alone at the top of my class. My test scores were average. The fact that I was a combat veteran of the Iraq Campaign seemed to carry very little weight with most universities.

I did know that I wanted to be the best, and so I started looking at doctoral programs at only the finest institutions. The first program that I scouted was at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. I interviewed briefly with a doctoral admissions representative, toured the campus, and sat in on an economics course. It was impressive. I felt that I could keep up better than most, but there were problems. Firstly, I was not wealthy. Philadelphia was a far more expensive city to live in than my home of Pittsburgh. The program had many costs associated to it. I simply could not afford it. Secondly, my mother’s cancer had turned terminal and I was needed at home. Thirdly, I did not have the Ivy League background or pedigree that most, if not all of the people whom I met that day had. I'm not one to sell myself short. I know that I can accomplish any goal, but there are also fiscal and emotional realities which must be acknowledged. Wharton was an amazing school, but it was not destined to be.

I transitioned quickly from the military into civilian employment, working in Human Resources for Carnegie-Mellon University. I turned my attention to CMU’s Ph.D. program at the Tepper School of Business. CMU did not have any part-time doctoral programs at the time. I would have had to quit my job to pursue CMU as an option. Their programs also would have taken a much longer time to complete compared to programs at other local universities.

I again turned my attention elsewhere. I got the idea in my head that it would be a good idea from a professional standpoint for me to continue my education at Pennsylvania universities. I also knew that I wanted to continue working if possible, as experience seemed to be just as important as education, if not more so. I steered clear of the for-profit colleges and universities. I investigated doctoral programs at the University of Pittsburgh, Robert Morris University, Drexel University, and Eastern University. I felt that I needed a doctoral degree in order to advance in my career, make more money, have an honest chance at teaching at the college level, be taken seriously at top-tier universities, and allow for personal growth.

Every institution that I applied to was a good one, and one that I would be proud to attend.

I took both the GRE and the GMAT examinations. I paid to have my curriculum vitae professionally done.I obtained letters of reference from former professors, supervisors, and volunteer organizations. I tirelessly worked on applications and essays. The only thing left to do was to say a prayer and apply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment